Knowing the will of God is in direct correlation to knowing and living by the Spirit of God. Cannot have one without the other.
I personally have whined over and over about wanting to know the will of God. There are a couple of places in Scripture where it out-right says what His will is. Wanna see? M’kay…
It is God’s will that you should be sanctified… 1 Thessalonians 4:3
Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Pretty straight forward.
“Yeah but,” you say, “what is God’s will for MY life?” Ah, now were are getting down to the nitty-gritty. Let’s see, um…ok, here’s how you know.
There are a couple of things you have to do (taken from Paul in Romans 12:2):
1. Offer your body as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God.
2. Don’t comform to this world
3. Instead, be transformed by the renewing of your mind, THEN
4. You will be able to know HIs good and perfect will.
You see, we like to do that in reverse order.
1. Know God’s will for my life, THEN
2. I’ll stop doing all the crap I’m not supposed to be doing, THEN
3. I’ll let the Spirit do His job of changing me, THEN
4. I’ll live a very sacrificial life to God doing that which He showed me to do.
Yeah, ouch for me too.
In order to know the will of God (regardless if it has ANYTHING to do with you, which, in mercy, it does), we must first be humbled and abandoned to the work of the Spirit in us. There is too much flesh noise to discern His voice from ours if we are not humbled to the voice and word of His Spirit daily.
“How do I do that?” you ask.
Come back tomorrow. 🙂